noon-2 p.m. St. John’s Greek Orthodox Church, 3301 Hwy. 17 Bypass, Myrtle Beach
The annual Red Cross Christmas Day Dinner, presented by Bi-Lo, is free to anyone who needs a hot meal or a place to fellowship on this special occasion, said Janice Ash Sialiano, who coordinates the annual event.
What does it take to provide 6,500 meals – a whole lotta cookingand it doesn't even include all the desserts that are provided!
· Turkey 6800 pounds Roasted to provide 2270 pounds Sliced Turkey + 120 pounds turkey fat for Gravy & Skin and bones for turkey Stock (too much info?)
· Gravy 192 gallons = 1700 pounds
· Dressing Main ingredient’s 900 pounds bread plus 225 pounds chopped onions plus 125 pounds celery plus 288 gallons homemade Stock = 2200 pounds Dressing
· Mashed potatoes 2000 pounds
· Fresh Sweet Potato casserole 2000 pounds
· Green Beans with chopped Ham and sautéed Onions 2070 pounds
· Cranberry sauce 1236 pounds
The Red Cross expects to provide some 6,500 meals, including home deliveries to those who cannot get to a church site. If you are in need of a home delivered meal, please call 843-477-0020 to sign up. This event is provided free to the public thanks to Bi-Los’ sponsorship and donations from the community, and with the assistance of over two hundred American Red Cross volunteers.